WHY WATER MELON IS A PERFECT FOOD FOR PREGNANT WOMEN
1. Watermelon contains more lycopene than any other fruit or vegetable. Lycopene is an antioxidant that can help prevent heart disease and cancer as well as boosting your immune system. It’s a delicious and natural way to help stay healthy when pregnant!
2. Studies have shown that a pregnancy diet that includes foods high in lycopene can reduce the risk of pre-eclampsia.
3. Watermelon is packed with antioxidants and contains essential minerals for your pregnancy nutrition including magnesium, copper and potassium.
4. One cup of watermelon will provide you with 17% of your daily requirement for Vitamin A and 21% of your Vitamin C. It also contains Vitamin B1 and Vitamin B6 – all necessary for your healthy pregnancy diet.
5. Watermelon is rich in an amino acid called L-citrulline which converts in the body to L-arginine which helps relax your blood vessels and improve circulation. Watermelon is a natural way to combat pregnancy varicose veins.
6. The potassium and magnesium found in watermelon can help alleviate the muscle cramps that often afflict pregnant women in their third trimester
7. Super refreshing, watermelon is perfect if you’re suffering from pregnancy nausea and morning sickness – cut yourself a lovely big slice or whizz it into a delicious Watermelon Cooler.
8. Make sure you include watermelon in your pregnancy diet if you’re exercising. It will help reduce your heart rate and soothe sore muscles after your pregnancy workout.
9.Watermelon is 92% water (no surprises there!) so it will help keep your body hydrated during pregnancy.
10. Big chunks of watermelon make an easy, refreshing and healthy dessert. If you’re trying to maintain an average weight gain in pregnancy, it’s a great alternative to sugary puddings! A cup of watermelon contains less than 50 calories.
Watermelon stores well at room temperature but should be kept in the fridge after cutting. It needs to be ripe to get maximum benefits – its nutritional value is limited before the fruit matures.