Healthy pregnancy snacks carrot hummus
A yummy snack or easy lunch that packs in essential nutrients? Carrot hummus is full of prenatal vitamins; enjoy with veggies for perfect addition to a healthy pregnancy diet!
We love dips! Even if you’re not feeling much like eating you can dunk sticks of raw vegetable into a bowl of something delicious and before you know it you’re well on the way to your five a day – with added vitamins and minerals. Easy pregnancy nutrition! Or serve with salad leaves, olives, caper berries and warm flatbreads for a quick lunch that’s not just good food for pregnant women – it’s good for their family and friends too!
3 large carrots
2tbsps olive oil
150-200gms of chick peas
2tbsps of tahini
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp smoked paprika
Juice of ½ lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the carrots into chunks.
- Put a scant tbsp of olive oil into a sauté pan with the carrots and crushed garlic.
- Saute gently until the carrots are tender and beginning to caramelise slightly. Don’t let the garlic burn.
- Meanwhile lightly toast the cumin seeds in a dry frying pan for about a minute until fragrant. Grind to a fine-ish powder in a pestle and mortar. You can use cumin powder but it won’t taste quite so good!
- Tip the carrots and all the remaining ingredients (apart from the cumin) into a food processor (or a bowl to use with a hand-held blender) and blend to a puree.
- Add cumin to taste – you don’t want to overpower the flavour of the carrots but a good spicy kick is the essence of this dip.
- If the mixture is too thick, add more olive oil or thin slightly with cold water to reach your preferred consistency.
FittaTip! Depending on the size of the carrots you may need at least another tablespoon of olive oil – but don’t worry olive oil is rich in Omega-3 and good to include in your pregnancy diet.
If you would like more inspiration for your healthy pregnancy diet click to download our free recipe book below, its full of advice on what vitamins to include in your diet and tasty ways to enjoy them!