Healthy pregnancy diet: festive nibbles
Looking for a festive treat to fit your healthy pregnancy diet? These nut balls look good, taste amazing and packed with essential parental nutrients!
These little ‘figgy puddings’ perfect for a boost when your energy is flagging over the festive season. Crammed with energy giving dried fruits and nuts they taste delicious and make a guilt-free treat when you’re trying to maintain a healthy pregnancy diet. We gave them a little gold spray for a festive touch – or roll them in icing sugar for a dusting of snow!
And if you’re fitting in a Christmas visit to the gym, they’ll be perfect before your pregnancy workout and good to keep in your gym bag to refuel after pregnancy exercise. The coconut oil is easily processed into energy and is good for blood cholesterol; the Brazil nuts are a fantastic source of essential selenium and the figs are packed with essential fibre, minerals and natural energy boosting sugars. A festive snack that’s perfect as part of your fit pregnancy diet!
1 cup of Brazil Nuts
½ cup of desiccated unsweetened coconut
1 cup of soft dried figs (check to remove any stalks)
½ cup of dried chopped cranberries
1 tablespoon of coconut oil
1 dessertspoon of agave syrup
½ teaspoon of sea salt
Additional tablespoon of desiccated coconut and a tablespoon full of cocoa powder for dusting
- Process the Brazil nuts and coconut in a food processor until finely ground. Add all the other ingredients, except for the cranberries, and process until thoroughly mixed into a thick paste.
- Add the cranberries and mix thoroughly.
- Scoop out heaped teaspoonfuls of paste and roll between your hands to form firm, walnut sized balls. Roll the balls in desiccated coconut and dust with icing sugar or use a gold confectionary spray (or both!).
- Place on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment and chill in the fridge before serving.
- Store a jar of balls on the mantlepiece and as eat as required!
FittaTipOne: Use dates instead of figs and ½ cup of ground almonds instead of the coconut.
FittaTipTwo: Give an energy gift! A pretty jar or a small box filled with FittaMamma Energy Baubles is a healthy pregnancy substitute for chocolates!