Healthy pregnancy snack: Blueberry muffins!
These blueberry muffins are perfect for an energy boost and packed with prenatal vitamins!
Blueberries are a healthy pregnancy superfood, packed with Vitamin C, folate, calcium and other nutrients for pregnant women – they also contain potassium which is essential for blood pressure control. Team them with walnuts in these delicious muffins and you’ll be boosting your Omega-3 too – good for you and your baby! Another of Anita Bean’s fab recipes from Food for Fitness.
125g (8oz) self-raising flour
50g (2oz) melted butter
50g (2oz) soft brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
200 ml (7fl oz) milk
125g (4oz) fresh (or frozen) blueberries
50g (2oz) finely chopped walnuts
- Heat the oven to 180C
- Line a muffin tin with 12 paper muffin cases
- Mix together the flour and sugar. In a separate bowl beat together the melted butter, egg, vanilla and milk. Pour into the flour mixture and mix well.
- Fold in the blueberries and walnuts.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes until firm to the touch and light brown in colour.
Use 4 oz of wholemeal flour and 4oz of self-raising flour for added fibre – another essential for a healthy pregnancy!